Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
简介Despite the Yoon Suk Yeol government's pledge to crack down on crimes against women, concerns a ...
Despite the Yoon Suk Yeol government's pledge to crack down on crimes against women, concerns are growing over the women's safety following a spate of gender-based violence cases.
The tragic death of 38-year-old Lee Eun-chong, who was murdered by her former coworker and boyfriend after being stalked, stirred criticism over a lack of practical protection for victims of gender-based crimes under South Korean law. In Lee's case, she had been granted a temporary restraining order to prohibit her ex-boyfriend from getting close to her, but he was still able to kill her.
In July, Lee was fatally stabbed in front of her home in Incheon. She had reportedly tried to end the relationship with her killer due to his physically abusive behavior.
An online post in early September -- purportedly by Lee's bereaved family -- indicated that Lee had been given a wearable electronic device to alert the police in case of an emergency. However, the post claimed that Lee was asked by police to return the device just four days before she died. The police denied the claim.
Some 44,000 petitions have been filed as the trial for the case began on Sept. 19, calling for tougher punishment for the perpetrator.
Rising fears over gender-based violence have been fueled by the tendency of Korean courts to take mitigating factors into account when sentencing assailants in gender-based violence cases.
This is illustrated by the so-called "roundhouse kick" incident, where a man attacked and attempted to rape and murder a woman in Busan in February 2022.
The man, who had an extensive criminal record of 18 prior convictions, was given 20 years in prison by an appellate court in June, a far lighter sentence than the 35 years sought by the prosecution. The victim said she believed the judges took into account the offender's family background, specifically his parents' divorce, when determining his sentence.
The case drew media attention after the victim uploaded a post online titled, "I'll be dead in 12 years," which portrayed her fear of being murdered as soon as the assailant gets released after jail term and approaches her in retaliation for his punishment. The post went viral following an initial lower court ruling that handed down a 12-year sentence to the offender. Amid widespread public attention, the Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the 20-year sentence handed down by the appellate court.
김태효 국가안보실 1차장은 북한의 최전방 감시초소(GP) 복원에 대응해 우리 GP도 복원할 계획이라고 27일 밝혔다.김태효 국가안보실 1차장. 연합뉴스김 차장은 이날 KBS 뉴스라 ...
Toyota launched its fourth electrification model in Korea for this year, the luxury hybrid minivan A ...
In director Kim Jee-woon’s upcoming black comedy, “Cobweb,” Jung Soo-jung, also known as Krystal fro ...
S. Korea, Japan, China agree to accelerate summit efforts
KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
[Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
Jeju's autonomy is model for Western Sahara: Morocco
Dodgers prospect trying to fit in with S. Korean nat'l baseball team
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- Seoul shares dip 1 pct on Fed rate hike woes, won sharply slides
- S Korea, UAE agree to increase bilateral flight ceiling to 21 per week
- 尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- Seoul shares end higher on tech gains, Fed comments
- 대통령실 “UAE 대통령 방한 순연”…이스라엘·하마스 충돌 영향
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Professor awarded for building Korean studies in US
- McDonald's Korea to increase prices of 13 items next week
- Samsung SDI logs record
- Ruling party to appoint innovation committee members
- [Today’s K
- SK hynix logs quarterly losses for 4th consecutive quarter
- Supreme Court dismisses Buseoksa's appeal in Bodhisattva statue ownership dispute
- Revamped 'Sister Act' with diverse cast gets ready for international premiere
- 여권 ‘TK 지지율’ 비상…오늘 서울 오는 박근혜에 주목
- Koreans well equipped to overcome global economic turmoil, says ex
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- NiziU wins best pop video at MTV VMAJs
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- Sumi Jo awarded Geumgwan Order, highest honor for artists
- Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses
- Meta fails to provide communication channel in Korea: lawmaker
- 홍준표 "난 죄 지은 것 없다, 인요한 사면 논의 자체가 쪽팔려"
- SK Innovation joins hands with Fiji for mangrove restoration
- 北 "우간다 이어 홍콩 영사관 폐쇄"…재외공관 철수 행렬 왜
- Prestige Biopharma eyes complete value chain