'No Japan?' Korea swings from extreme rejection to selective embrace
简介For one local beer aficionado, the recent increase in the variety of alcoholic beverages available a ...
For one local beer aficionado, the recent increase in the variety of alcoholic beverages available at convenience stores has been noticeable and -- to a moderate degree -- welcome.
"Various Japanese beer brands are now part of the 'Buy four cans of imported beer for 10,000 won ($7.50)' deal," 32-year-old Lee Hyun-soo told The Korea Herald.
"So I thought, 'Why not relish their rich flavor?' Especially since I haven't been to Japan in ages,” he said.
Marketed as the first canned beer product to offer a draft beer-like experience, Japanese beer Asahi Super Dry has also been selling out in Korea since its initial launch here in May. Slowly but surely, Japanese beers have started to make inroads into the Korean retail landscape once again after the "No Japan" boycott, which started in July 2019.
In a look at Korea Customs Service’s data from the past four years, as of July of each year, South Korea's imports of Japanese beer have witnessed many fluctuations, with import volumes at 774 and 522 metric tons in 2020 and 2021, respectively, in stark contrast to the 7,985 metric tons imported this year.
However, the rise in beer imports is not the sole indicator of a shift in Korean consumption patterns of Japanese products. The upsurge in engagement with other Japan-related economic activities is currently shifting the anti-Japan narrative.
Some 350 flats at Hyundai Engineering & Construction's new apartment complex, Hillstate Gayang ...
차준홍 기자최근 북한이 러시아에 보낸 1000개 이상의 컨테이너에 실린 무기가 포탄으로 가정할 경우 수십만 발에 해당하는 규모라고 16일 국방부가 밝혔다. 장기간 전쟁을 수행 중인 ...
HERALD INTERVIEWClark Sorensen, who just retired as professor in June from the University of Washing ...
- KT SAT to adopt Starlink for enhanced maritime internet
- Han Kang's novel shortlisted for 2 prestigious French awards
- Seoul International Pride Film Festival kicks off on Nov. 2
- 유엔 대북제재위 "北 가상화폐 탈취 2조3000억, 이전보다 3배"
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Benois de la Danse winner Kang Mi
- Milk prices to go up in Oct.
- NK slams Yoon's warning against Pyongyang
- 러 무기 만져보고 타보고...김정은 '북·러 합작' 도발 메뉴 내놓나
- Broadcom to appeal S. Korean regulator's fine over unfair Samsung Electronics deal
- [Today’s K
- Hyundai Motor may sell Russian plant to local firm
- 카메라 찍힌 김여정 960만원 '디올 백'…그 자체가 北인권 참상
- [Herald Interview] Love is what defines artist Dawn
- [Hello Hangeul] The making of Korean language textbooks featuring BTS
- LG, Hyundai, YouTube team up for in
- Women’s stories continue to resonate with Korean viewers
- [Korea Beyond Korea] From history and K
- [Herald Interview] Journey to find her voice has brought Vittoria Yeo to peak performance
- Celltrion wins UNDP tender to supply anticancer treatments to Turkmenistan
- Epitaph plaque for wife of first Korean diplomatic minister in US returns to Korea
- 北 오죽 돈 없으면…유럽서도 방 뺀다, 주스페인 대사관 폐쇄
- Kakao Mobility announces plan to overhaul commission system amid monopoly criticism
- [Korean History] Bodies of two infants discovered in freezer in Seoul's Seorae Village
- AmCham reaffirms Korea
- 협치 첫 단추 ‘현수막 난립방지법’ 소위 통과
- Dreamcatcher to present new album 'VillanS' on Nov. 22
- NCSoft to unveil new titles at G
- LG Energy Solution debuts new battery
- Halloween weekend sees 65 police calls
- In early 2029, Earth will likely breach key warming threshold: scientists
- Sombre palaces, tombs swathed in fall colors
- Decoding Korea's 'virtuous' drinking culture
- STX, Triple
- ‘北 정찰위성 3차 발사’ 질문에 美 국방부 “계속 모니터링”