S. Korea defeat Japan for 3rd straight men's football gold
简介HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea captured a record third straight Asian Games men's football gold ...
HANGZHOU, China -- South Korea captured a record third straight Asian Games men's football gold medal Saturday in China, rallying past Japan 2-1 after conceding an early goal.
Midfielder Jeong Woo-yeong scored his tournament-best eighth goal to level the score at 1-1, and forward Cho Young-wook netted the eventual winner in the second half at Huanglong Sports Centre Stadium in Hangzhou.
Coached by Hwang Sun-hong, South Korea's under-24 squad went undefeated in the competition, with three wins in the group stage followed by four more victories in the knockouts.
South Korea scored 27 goals and allowed only three.
Japan scored the first goal just around 80 seconds after the kickoff, thanks to some hard pressing. Kein Sato drove deep into the attacking zone and sent a cross toward the middle. The ball bounced off Masato Shigemi before landing on Kotaro Uchino, who made no mistake with a shot to the top shelf.
South Korea had never conceded an opening goal until the gold medal match.
South Korea soon started dictating the pace of the match, and Jeong headed home the equalizer on 27 minutes following Hwang Jae-won's diagonal cross.
Cho then put South Korea ahead for good with his 56th-minute goal, winning the loose ball battle near the penalty spot after Japan failed to clear the ball out of harm's way.
South Korea threatened to add to their lead in the late moments, with Um Won-sang forcing a tough save by goalkeeper Kazuki Fujita on 83 minutes and An Jae-jun nearly putting one past Fujita on a fast break during injury time.
A 66-year-old taxi driver whose passenger jumped out of his moving taxi and was then killed after be ...
South Korean home appliance maker Coway has been expanding its environmental campaigns to promote th ...
Samsung Biologics said Tuesday it inked a partnership with Kurma Partners, a French venture capital ...
- LG Electronics CEO to present AI vision at CES
- Exhibition at holy site highlights Catholic presence in Korea
- S. Korea's rising problem: unemployed youth giving up on job searching
- Korean Air to retain Asiana workers after takeover: sources
- Hyundai Elevator, Erbud team up to rebuild Ukraine
- 尹 대통령, 사우디 국방장관 만나 “국방·방산 협력 심화”
- Most top earners live in or near Seoul: data
- Some 8,000 homes to relocate as Seoul's Hannam neighborhood undergoes redevelopment
- [Busan Is Ready] S. Korea to expand ODA initiatives to promote Busan Expo
- Retail sales up 9.5 pct in Sept. on strong online demand
- [Herald Interview] Chung Ji
- Major retailer recalls over 50,000 pairs of shower shoes due to chemical hazard
- 尹 “연금안 맹탕? 근거·합의 없이 숫자로만 결론 낼 수 없다”
- Exports of passenger cars up 16 pct in Q3 on eco
- Korean doctors see income surge amid intensifying physician shortage
- Korea Investment & Securities joins hands with Carlyle
- Seoul shares open lower on US economic data
- Snow crabs join bargain for crustaceans
- Nightmare before Christmas: 'rape announcement' issued at Seoul billboard
- KB approves of Yang Jong
- Network error grinds government network to halt, restoration still in progress
- ‘Concrete Utopia,’ ‘Moving’ sweep 59th Daejong Film Awards
- Yoon calls for enhancing connectivity of world economy with APEC at center
- [Today’s K
- Resale tickets for League of Legends World Championship go up to 3 million won
- Woman faces prosecution after demanding marriage from V
- LG to debut EV chargers in US next year
- S. Korea, US explore ways to expand ties in energy, supply chains
- Suneung difficulty rekindles 'killer question' controversy
- Yoon, Japan's Kishida agree to cooperate in hydrogen sector
- Negotiating members of Indo
- IMF calls for restrictive monetary policy for S. Korea 'for considerable time' to tame inflation
- Seoul shares end nearly flat amid signs of cooling US inflation
- [New in Korean] Seven minds share single body in '7
- Ampers&one hopes to seep into listeners’ hearts with positive music
- Biden, Xi's 'blunt' talks yield deals on military, fentanyl